Sunday, July 29, 2007

 

The Weekend

Friday was a day to leave everything behind - work, running, everything - hang out with some friends and have some drinks. First group at Transport in Fed Sq before I met up with a new group at Y&J's across the street. They had a band doing covers, everything from Bryan Adams to Pink to Chilis. They were all right but probably sounded a bit better after a few drinks. Left around 1 and was still able to grab a tram home so a good night overall.

Saturday I had an outdoor coffee at a St Kilda bakery on Acland St with Sal-boy and Dean-o as they made their way up from Virginia to NYC, picking up revelations, epiphanies even, on the way - of course the big ones coming in the big town. That's all I had time for because I needed socks.. that's right, socks. I walked it to Chapel St, music in ear, another coffee in hand, meeting the best parts of any dirty old town - where only your feet can take you. Through the alleys, the secret ways of the locals, what the driving tourist doesn't have time to see and what the walking tourist doesn't dare to see, past the local shops on the south end of the street that haven't yet been touched by the consumerism and name-brands of Prahran - yet. I ducked into a CD store for some inspiration but came out empty handed, then into the sport shop, had a look around, stood in front of the sock display, read the tags for each pair, and walked out with nothing added to what I carried. I pressed on north in search of an Asian grocer I had heard about and got all the way to the Yarra before I decided that it was time for the tram to take me home, the only gain was the experience of the walk and added knowledge of the street and that was good enough for me.

I needed to be at Balaclava Station at 6:30 but missed the tram to get me there by 5 seconds. Another came 10 mins later and took me to the station but I heard the 6:29 above me leave as I crossed to the station. That's ok, I was alone, I wasn't the one that was late. Two more additions to the party before the 6:49 took us to the CBD and dinner in Hardware Lane, outside with a band playing to the side, and endless throngs of people walking past.

End of alley jazz club, invisible to those not knowing - with directions from the musicians that lit up our dinner we had table up front. Drummer in soft hat backwards, glasses, tongue out, "yeah!", feeling it. Shaggy haired upright bassist, smile on face, head bobbing. Pulled together pianist, business hair, business shirt, business pants, belt even, with business attitude but jazz soul through fingers to keys banging on piano strings. Gorgeous, Filipino/white, shaking hips, in green dress, ruffled, raising voice and soul to share stories of love and life. Bodies swaying to the jazz, beer bottles tapping to the blues - good night.

Sunday was more coffee and reading. It has warmed up a little here in Melbourne and it doesn't rain as often so it's possible to sit outside during the day and at night if they have the gas heaters. Normal day, checked the Sox score, grocery store, went for a run, took a nap. I also finally finished "A Short History of Australia" by Manning Clark. If you want to know the story of this country I strongly recommend that you do not read this book because it just takes time away from reading a history that you can actually make sense of. I'll let you know if I find one.

This week should be about refocusing on running and getting back to the schedule after pulling my calf muscle a couple of weeks ago. It feels better but I'm going to need a 2 week build-up to get back on schedule. Should be alright, I feel good and still have 10 weeks before the race. Maybe go out one night if I have the time. And I still don't have any socks.

Comments:
I think I re-read this posting three times, and I have no idea what's going on. Let me try to re-cap, tell me if I'm wrong here:

Fri - 2 bars, 1 cover band
Sat - walked around off beaten path, tram to jazz club
Sun - read bad book
 
Don't worry about it, Dude, just go back to reading your Harry Potter.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?