Monday, June 04, 2007

 

Monday Post

Sox
M-Fs got us.. you've got to be kidding me. A great rubber game at Fenway that ends with A-Rod, after everything Red Sox Nation put him through the last 3 days, putting one into the bullpen in the 9th.. off of Pap no less. I bet the Yankee fans are loving it (at least those dirty bastards that actually pay attention, not the stupid people that wear the hat 'cause everyone else GD does). M-F! Lane - Not Happy!

Weekend
Friday wasn't a bad night, a few of us went to a small pub down the street from me. The band started up, very loudly, covering Stones' songs so a really not to bad. Great people watching, it seems that this band must play there a lot because most people knew they would be there and since they're all Stones fans, I think most of them were older than my parents. Some crazies too.

Saturday is my rest day but I was ready to spend some money. I hung around to watch the Sox lose to the Yankees then finally bought some balcony furniture but of course it is stinking cold here so I'll be out there all bundled up, maybe I'll light a candle to warm up. Then I headed up to a running store in Kew East where I spent A$... let's just say a bit of money on new running shoes. They're the next generation Asics of what I've been using so now I'm running 2 pairs of 2120s and a pair of 2110s. I checked out some surfboards too, sort of picked out the type that I want but the place said I could demo one so I took the used one for Sunday's trip to Philip Island. Lastly, just hanging out - dinner and a smoothie - this is what it comes down to during marathon training.

I had a plan for Sunday. I was being picked up around 7:30am to go surfing but I had to run 12 miles that day too. Go surfing and then run? No let's run first. That means a 4:30 wake up call.. Think that can happen? I woke up at 4:20 without the alarm, got up, ran a great 12 miles and then... the alarm went off. You know what's worse than waking up at 4:30 to run? Waking up dreaming that you've already run 12 miles. But I did the 12 - in the cold - man it's cold here and was back in time to be picked up. We some how fit 3 guys and 3 boards in an Astra and drove the 1.5 hrs to Philip Island and Woolamai Beach. Woolie is known for it's rip and big swells and is not a beginners' beach. What am I? Yeah, a beginner. The board was great but the waves were huge and I just got wrecked on a few of them. And then it was even worse trying to get back out there. I did survive, although tired and cold, and can't wait to get out there again. Rest of the day? Yeah, nothing.

Running
I have 18 weeks until the Melbourne Marathon and two weeks until the Run to the G Half Marathon. Last week I ran all 7 days for a total of 37 miles and today was my 12th day in a row of running. I've switched to running in the mornings and it has just been cold, I can't say that enough, and it rained one day too. Running every day can kill your joints and muscles and what the experts are saying, and this is used religiously by Scott Jurek and Dean Karnazes, is to jump in a cold tub after your run to constrict the blood flow and lower the swelling. Well, I don't have a tub but I have a shower and when it rains or is cold my knees swell up but this makes the swelling go away right away. This really works and I use it after just about every run but can you think of anything worse than coming in from a 6 mile run in 40F temps and cold rain and then taking a cold shower? ...I haven't thought of anything either.

Question: I'm going to Tasmania from next Friday to Tuesday, I can run Friday morning, Saturday and Monday are only 3 miles so I can do that on the island and Tuesday when I get home but I'm supposed to do 14 miles on Sunday, how am I going to squeeze that in? Any suggestions?

Comments:
Yeah, I'm just waiting for Ritchie's email. Then I'll ask Ritchie if he can name either their 4th or 5th starter (prior to when Clemens starts tonight....oops, the 60-year old got hurt again, maybe starting at home against Pitt is better for him).

Yeah, I'm a little bitter too. For staying up past midnight to see that game. Once Lugo was called out (when he really was safe at home), I just had a bad feeling.

I just hope that the players have the same bitterness that the fans do, and rip off a ton of wins from now thru the Allstar Break. OAK, ARZ, COL, SF, ATL, SD, SEA, TEX, TB, & DET. I'm not asking for sweeps, but there's no reason they shouldn't win each series, and set the Yankees bank by a few more games.

Gay-rod off Pap. One bad pitch, and it had to be to him.
 
I forgot to ask...where are the surfing pic's?
 
I could take pictures of the beach but that's about it, with my camera you probably wouldn't be able to see too much of the surfers. I'll bring it next time.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?