Monday, May 28, 2007

 

I made it

Well, the bar from Friday night wasn't as bad as originally thought - maybe I'm just a little fancier than I thought. It was more like a chill bar than what was described on the websites. And it wasn't necessary to drink the fruity mixed drinks that they were offering - thanks for the tips Hobes but haven't we had the conversation about you and margaritas? - they did have a few beers but I went with a 15 year Glenfiddich. So they brought over a taste of it, which I drank and said, "that was nice, I'll take that one, " and the reply was "you just did.. that will be 10 dollars." This is what we've come to call the 'Australian shot' - it's like an ounce and a half without the ounce.. it's small.

Now it's time to start the pub crawl back into the city. We sent the organisers up ahead a bit, which proved to be a bad idea because we didn't make it into every bar that we passed - maybe that was a good idea. Our first stop was a crowded one that had Bon Jovi blaring from the inside. We stood around drinking our beers but got tired of being manhandled by everyone that walked by, which led us to the next bar - a very 'local' hotel that had an interesting mix of people. But it also had a pool table that we could use so one of the better bars of the night. Gradually, we lost participants and when we got to the CBD we hit another fancy bar but this one was of the scotch-and-cigar variety. But I can't tell you that I'll ever go there again - not because I thought it was a bad place to go but I may not be able to find it. There's no sign and it's up some stairs so you can't see it from the street, it's just a door, albeit, a nice door. And the last bar of the night landed us in the Elephant and Wheelbarrow in the city where I had a Guinness and called it a night around 2:30am, took a cab home, and that's about it.

Saturday - nothing, read a bunch of a book, got some coffee, that's about it.

Sunday I picked up a couple of friends, loaded up the Toyota with surfboards and headed down to Torquay for the 5ft swells promised to us by the internet. Well, the internet is a big fat liar because there were no waves, just some inconsistent 2 footers. But it was fun to try to catch some anyway, it's always nice to get in the water, and the beach was really nice too - although, it was a nude beach (no one using it for such these days because it's stinking cold) that is surrounded by cliffs (sorry, no pictures) and is very quiet. We made our way back to town and I finished off the day with a nice 10mile run. The ankle is feeling better but my knee is jacked up. The inside back is giving me some issues and throwing off my stride.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?