Tuesday, May 29, 2007

 

Books and Pictures

Here is my third and final post of the day...

I just finished Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey: The River of Doubt by Candice Millard. I just happened to pick this up at some airport on my last trip to the States. It's a great book - the story is amazing and something that you wouldn't expect from an ex-president of the US (even if it is TR, I didn't expect him to do such a trip after he was president) and the writing, storytelling, and pertinent facts were very interesting and allowed me to fully picture the expedition's progress. And TR is someone who is always interesting to read about.

Just before this one I read Kerouac's Lonesome Traveler - this dude is writing the life I've been dreaming about for 15 years. He is now my favorite mid-20th century American writer. How's that for specific? But once I read a few more of his then he's likely to move up the overall list.

And to finish off some unfinished business, which will now be considered finished, here are some pictures:

On 25 April I did a trail run up in the Cathedral Range in Victoria:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=s8e95zp.2fya0571&Uy=-86iq94&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0

And on 6 May Kevin and I ran the Great Train race, which is a race through the mountains where you race against the tourist train that they have there. It's a 13km run that is very hilly but a lot of fun. I can't remember what my number was so I can't find my time but I came in around 59 minutes, which was 1min 20sec slower than the train. Next year I'll get him.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1&Uc=s8e95zp.56iek231&Uy=a8rvk8&Ux=1

I need to go to sleep!

Comments:
Now I might be wrong, but technically if you ride the train during the race doesn't that call for a disqualification?

Did you at least get to see the train from the road while you were running?
 
Well, I tried not to explain too much for time reasons but... you race the train 13km in one direction on foot (you can see the train at some points when it crosses the road) and then you ride the train back. But some people can ride during the race (Stacey and the kids) and be on the train's team. The first half of the pics were taken by Stacey, not me. So I didn't ride the train during the race.. if that's what you're implying.
 
Wow, more pics of Lano teaching young children to stick their tongue out. What a fantastic influence.

(and come on Bon, even "I" got the jist of running and riding the train back. Does he need to spell e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g out for you?
 
I C Hober can't take a joke. ;)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?