Monday, February 19, 2007

 

What's in store for this week?

For some reason a lot of people like to hear what I'm doing down here on normal days as if my life is more exciting than theirs just because I'm in Australia. But it's not just my locale, let's face it, I'm a walking party, baby, come on. So here's a recap of last week:

Normal days consist of me working until 5:30 or 6 coming home, eating, then going for a run, and probably working some more. Fun, I know. But that takes care of the days that I don't mention.

Wednesday was Valentine's Day, which is popular here, although I must say not as commercially disgusting as it is in the US. And in the spirit of the holiday I decided to celebrate with my only love that hasn't turned on me yet - beer (aside from one or two "incidents" but she can be forgiven). So, I met up with a friend at one of my favorite bars in the city - Riverland on the banks of the Yarra and had a few pints waiting for a free outdoor concert by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl. We met a few other friends there, sat on the grass, and enjoyed the concert, which was really good. Then it was off to home for me.

Friday I joined a bunch of American expats and short-timers at the Belgian Beer Gardens on St. Kilda Rd. They have great Belgian beer and it's an outdoor bar and it has a great atmosphere. A bunch of Hoegaardens and stories later a few people decided to go home, some went wherever, and a group of us went down to St. Kilda to hit the Elephant and Wheelbarrow - an English pub with Guinness, outside tables, and a live band inside. Some Guinness and a lot of music later we decided to get some food and that was it for us - I walked into my apartment around 3:30am.

The late Friday night kind of killed my Saturday but I was able to bring my bike into the shop and attempted to go to the beach but one step on the sand with bare feet had me swearing out loud. It was hot this weekend, by the way, up to 38 on Sunday. I walked along the beach (in the water) for a bit but never parked myself anywhere so I decided to walk up to the CBD, I found some dinner and took it to another free outdoor MSO concert. Some friends showed up for the concert as well and afterwards we walked up to Hardware Lane for some dinner at an Italian restaurant - I had already eaten so I was only drinking wine. This place had outside seating and an outside DJ playing Italian music and it turned into a dance party. I didn't join in because A) I didn't have that much wine and B) I was quite disgusting from walking around in the 38 degree heat all day. And the night ended early.

Early Sunday I got a call to go surfing down on Phillip Island - the surf report didn't look very good but it was worth the try. We tried one beach, got in the water, and paddled around trying to catch some waves. Some of the waves weren't too bad but they were inconsistent and there were quite a few people trying to grab them so I didn't accomplish much. But it was fun anyway. We grabbed some lunch on the island and checked another beach but everything was flat so we headed back to the city.

This week:

I have a birthday dinner in about an hour not too far from here. Wednesday I think I'm running in an 8k (hopefully it cools down). And this weekend looks like either hiking, biking, or surfing. I'm sure some people will want to hit some restaurant/bar type places as well.

Comments:
You go to the Beglian Beer Garden and I go to a Belgian Beer Party...nice! I have to say I just learned that Blue Moon, albiet a Belgian Beer, is brewed out of Michigan!!! Hopefully you got to taste a few good ones...I know I did. I am not a huge fan but have you tried the Pirat? Or the Framboise? I really liked the Framboise, but it does have a huge liking to raspberry preserves.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?