Monday, October 09, 2006

 

Some inspiration..

The Melbourne Marathon. Nice, small race.. only about 4000 people in the half, I didn't hear the number in the full. But it got me to miss racing so one of my top priorities when I move here (aside from the whole car and apartment thing) is to set up a race schedule, maybe join a running club and get down to business. And, as promised, get ready for Melbourne Marathon 2007.

And what did I do for a run with my new inspiration? Nothing. I took the day off. I felt it was a good time to rest so instead I to the tram into the city and read at a cafe. But it was a bit cold out with a nasty wind. Hopefully it's a little nicer today because I will be running.

More about Melbourne, gastronomically speaking:
Melbourne, like many large cities, has a very large variety of restaurants, you can get anything you want. It's not just in the city either, it's in the suburbs too. Especially Asian food since there is a large Asian population. The food is great, I haven't been disappointed yet. Most places are cafe types or take-away and almost every place has outdoor seating, even in the winter. One problem - the price of drinks; get a bottle of iced tea or soda with your meal and you're adding at least another A$3.

The coffee is awesome. It's European style, small and strong and they have so many different kinds. If I'm at work I'll get a long black (small, strong coffee), if I'm out then I'll get a cappuccino, if I'm hanging out I may get a flat white (coffee with milk). I had some Starbucks yesterday - not that good, not strong enough, although plentiful.

And the beer. Australians have a reputation of being big drinkers and that may be the case but the beer that they're drinking really isn't that great. Don't get me wrong, I like it, I can drink it, and I will but if you want good beer, go to Europe. I've tried a bunch, Carlton's, Boag's, VB, etc and I put it a notch or two below Sam Adams. And, no, I haven't even touched a Foster's here - I haven't even seen it too much (it was at The Hard Rock). As I've heard it said, "It's the crap that they send to the US so they don't have to drink it."

Comments:
Beer isnt good? I'll be the judge of that...eventually.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?