Monday, March 06, 2006

 

Kind of a sick transition

It's Sunday morning.. I've been up for a while.. cleaned my apt a bit (still have a ways to go).. it's kind of warm outside.. my bike is looking at me funny.. I think she wants to go outside and ride the trails.. kind of tempting but I know she needs to be cleaned and have some preseason maintenance done first. Like I said, it's warm.. going to be 42 today.. 50's next weekend.. I think that makes an official end to winter here.. I'm putting the board away today.. snowshoes too - they only got out once. Makes me remember what Angella said at Flumserburg in Switzerland as she and I went for one last run and everyone else hung out at the bar on the bottom, "This could be your last run of the season." I knew she was right, although, I didn't want her to be. So I made it count, hit some steep powder at pretty good speed, tried for some air when I could, and jumped into the trees for a little bit - everytime I stopped I was out of breath. It was a good run.

Now I have running season starting big. My first "race" (this one's for fun) is a week from today. Biking - like I said, the bike needs some work but maybe I can get out next weekend. I need to find some places for hiking this summer. I've always said that for hiking to mean anything, you need some elevation gain, which is tough in these parts - so I may make it more worthwhile by trying out some fastpacking (some day I'll appreciate hiking for what it is but I have too much energy right now). Adventure racing - may start playing around with that; at least start training and picking up some cool gear.

So, right now it's 34 degrees outside, I want to go out but it's still kind of cold, I will run but it won't be too much fun. This is the sick transition - this winter (in MI) was a bust, we haven't had snow stick since December, I need spring, need to get outside. I'm going to go hang out at Moosejaw and REI - maybe I won't be the only person there with the same problem...

Comments:
Keith - I know the "transitions" are tough in MI. Good luck coping! But, northern Michigan got 4 feet of snow in February - I know it's not the Swiss Alps, but being outside in the snow in Northern Michigan is still better than being in the slush of Metro Detroit (Not to knock the 313 - It can be a great place!). You might still be able to get in one more trip up north. Speaking of snow...we just got hit in St. Gallen: 65 CM in 24 hours! Looks like I will be hitting Flumserberg for one last run after all!

Hope all is well! I love the blog!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?